REPORTS TO: Bjorklunden Operations Manager
LOCATION: Bjorklunden, Baileys Harbor
The Chef is responsible for all culinary activities for Bjorklunden. This position will oversee all activity in the kitchen, plan menus, oversee product purchasing, and provide shared supervision of kitchen staff.
DUTIES & REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Responsible for all menu planning and food preparation.
- Order food and supply items and maintain inventory control system.
- Prepare special meals to accommodate a variety of dietary restrictions.
- Supervise and train weekend and summer kitchen staff.
- Responsible for maintaining cleanliness of kitchen and ensuring that proper sanitation methods are observed by all personnel.
- Direct Bjorklunden recycling program.
- Oversee all kitchen equipment maintenance and repair.
- Will assist with other related duties as needed when assigned by the Operations Manager.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the Bjorklunden team and student employees.
- The work schedule for this year-round position generally consists of a mixture of weekdays and most weekends with daytime hours. Work into the evenings could be required occasionally based upon the needs for Bjorklunden.
- Should possess 3-5 years previous experience in catering or fine dining setting.
- Prefer experience as lead cook or executive chef.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with an emphasis on customer relations.
- Exposure to proper sanitation techniques for food service establishments.
- Maintain Certified Professional Food Manager and Restaurant Manager certifications.
We encourage applications from individuals who will help us create a more inclusive Lawrence by: (1) further diversifying the staff; and/or (2) demonstrating experience with successful diversity-related initiatives. See https://lawrencecareers.silkroad.com/lawrenceuniversity/About_Us.html for more information about Lawrence and its surrounding community, including the New North Regional Guide which lists resources that promote diversity in the community.