This position is responsible for the administrative tasks, management, and planning of all activities associated with the operations of the Door County Veterans Service Office, in compliance with the County, State, Federal laws and regulations. This position conducts professional, investigative, and comprehensive claim development under the direction of the County Veterans Service Officer which assists qualified veterans and/or their dependents in receiving benefits for which they may be eligible. This position assumes the duties and responsibilities of the County Veterans Service Officer during periods of his/her absence. Responsible for providing truthful and accurate written and verbal communications.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs administrative duties such as: greeting walk ins, answering phone calls, maintaining timely correspondence, scheduling appointments, processing mail, and maintaining monthly vouchers and other budgetary items.
- Processes and updates burial records for the Veterans Service Office and assists deceased veteran’s family members or local funeral home personnel in the application process for benefits and memorial items upon the veteran’s death.
- Assumes the County Veterans Service Officers responsibilities and duties in his or her absence.
- Assures the proper recording and filing of all documents authorized by law and/or according to policies and procedures while following privacy and confidentiality guidelines at the County, State, and Federal levels.
- Provide claims and benefits screening in person, by phone, or via e-mail to determine eligibility for possible County, State, or Federal veterans’ benefits and gathers evidence in support of all claims to include appropriately designated application forms, public documents, vital records, military records, medical records, and financial records.
- Helps veterans filling out designated application forms to include but not exclusive to VA Health Care Eligibility, State and Federal education benefits, Wisconsin State Property Tax Credit, Department of Transportation Veterans Driver’s License Identifier, Military Records Request, and Congressional Inquiries.
- Authorized to issue gift cards and make billing payments for veterans who are eligible for financial assistance.
- Conduct home visits as directed by the County Veterans Service Officer.
General Job Functions
- Scan documents, order publications, and mail correspondence.