Building and Grounds Maintenance
Crossroads at Big Creek is a beautiful 200-acre preserve which offers education, conducts research and provides outdoor experiences to inspire environmental stewardship in learners of all ages. We are seeking a self-starter with a strong mechanical and landscaping background to maintain and enhance this beautiful property and its buildings.
- Maintain building and maintenance shop including cleanliness, plumbing, electrical, HVAC and audiovisual equipment. Troubleshoot and fix basic problems and determine when outside assistance is needed.
- Maintain grounds of environmental preserve including maintenance of walking and skiing trails, parking lots and bridges.
- Maintain landscaping and lawns including trimming of trees and removal of invasive species.
- Operate and maintain equipment including Bobcat skid steer, commercial lawn mower, snowmobile, tractor, stump remover and post digger.
- Research and suggest equipment purchases. Work with contractors for maintenance or building needs.
- Set up and take down for programs. Assist with cleaning as needed.
- Coordinate projects with volunteers including school aged children and adults.
- Consult DNR and other agency regulations.
- Work occasional weekends and flexible hours to plow snow or to respond to sudden building issues.
- Use personal vehicle occasionally to pick up materials.
- 75% of the time is spent outdoors.
- Adhere to all safety practices.
- 3 to 5 years of landscaping, agricultural, maintenance and/or landscaping experience.
- Interest in environmental preservation. Knowledge of native plants, trees and landscaping practices a plus.
- Strong mechanical aptitude to troubleshoot a variety of areas including basic electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and machinery/landscaping equipment repair.
- Self-starter with strong organizational and prioritization skills.
- Experience operating a variety of hand tools.
- Ability to coordinate and communicate projects with a variety of ages.
- Ability to operate a variety of equipment including skid steers, commercial mowers, rototiller, snow blower, wood chipper, snowmobile, tractors and chain saws.
- Clean driving record and liability insurance on vehicle.
- Strong physical endurance with the ability to stand, walk, crouch, climb, bend and lift (up to 60 lbs.). Willingness to work in all weather conditions and clothing to dress appropriate for conditions.
- Basic familiarity with audio visual, security and computer equipment. Experience with Microsoft or GIS and CAD systems is a plus.
Hourly, non-exempt position: Vacation and 10 holidays. There are no insurance benefits available.
Please send a resume and wage expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 20, 2019. This position is open due to a retirement on June 1st. We would like someone to start in May, but we will work with the schedule of the right candidate.