The responsibility of this position is to conduct interpretive and education programs to interpret property natural and cultural resources, teach outdoor skills, and encourage resource stewardship. This includes developing programs, displays, exhibits and other presentation methods for visitors, school groups and other community/volunteer associations.
60% Prepare and conduct property interpretive and environmental education programs for park users, including nature hikes and weekly shoreline kayak tours, utilizing a variety of presentation methods and techniques.
20% Staff the Nature Center, including light maintenance and cleaning; provide direction of Nature Center volunteers in the absence of the FTE Natural Resource Education.
10% Assist with maintenance, cleaning and development with Nature Center displays.
10% Keep and maintain accurate records and reports relating to interpretive services provided.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Understanding of environmental concepts
- Basic understanding of interpretive methods and techniques related to program planning and delivery;
- Basic understanding of Wisconsin flora and fauna (specific knowledge of Door County and/or Peninsula State Park helpful)
- Ability to research for accurate information
- Must exhibit excellent customer service skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Must be willing to complete online DNR boater safety course
- Experience in conducting education programs
- Degree, coursework, or education program in natural sciences or related area
- The candidate must be willing to conduct programs for children and enjoy working with families
http://wisc.jobs/public/index.asp, Job Announcement Code: 18-03492
**** Due to the nature of this position the Department of Natural Resources will conduct a comprehensive criminal background check on applicants prior to selection. Pending criminal charge or conviction will not necessarily disqualify an applicant. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the DNR does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire.