JOB SUMMARY (ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS)
The Sous Chef (in conjunction with the executive chef) will be responsible for all food production, including that used for the restaurant and banquet functions. They will maintain the highest professional food quality and sanitation standards.
JOB TASKS (ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES)
- Assist the executive chef in supervising food production for all food outlets at the Lodge.
- Responsible for the daily operations of the kitchen. Provides professional leadership and direction to kitchen personnel. Ensures that all recipes, food preparations, and presentations meet the specifications of the Exec. Chef. Maintains a safe, orderly and sanitized kitchen. Demonstrates this by example, using proper food-handling techniques.
- Ensure food quality in all outlets by overseeing preparation and managing inventory
- Manage kitchen staff by assisting with the recruitment, selection, hiring, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, supervising, evaluating and carrying out disciplinary action as necessary in accordance with Gordon Lodge policies and applicable laws
- Approve product quality by training staff in preparation procedures and presentation standards; observing methods of preparation; tasting and smelling prepared dishes; viewing color, texture and garnishes; verifying portion sizes and ensuring that standards for food quality are consistently met
- Assist Exec. Chef in control costs by estimating purchasing needs; minimizing waste using prep sheets, proper recipes and proper staff training
- Maintain a clean and safe environment. Adhere to all federal, state and local sanitation and safety requirements; instructing staff in proper food preparation, food storage, use of kitchen equipment and utensils, sanitation and safety issues; ensuring clean and orderly refrigerators and kitchen
- Assists the Exec. Chef with the upkeep, maintenance, and repair of all kitchen equipment and kitchen facilities
- Assure smooth kitchen operation by assisting with product inventory, purchasing and receiving
- Abide by and ensure proper execution of all Safe-Serve Certification Procedures. Must provide documentation showing that Safe-Serve Certification is current and up to date.
- Implements and oversees regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for the kitchen and equipment as specified by the Exec. Chef
- Ensure that representatives from the kitchen staff attend service line-ups and meetings as required
- Adheres to policies and procedures designed to enhance and measure quality
- Must be able to work off of a BEO’s to plan work, prepare banquets, and prepare daily production lists
- Establishes buffet presentations.
- Expedites food orders during peak service hours as needed
- Manage and assist kitchen staff in producing food for all banquets and dining areas
- Verifies that kitchen staff follows all recipes and portions servings correctly.
- Maintains a physical presence in the kitchen during times of high business volume
- During periods of high volume the Sous Chef will be expected to assist with food preparation, including cooking on the line
- Assist with implementation and execution of safety training programs as determined by the Exec. Chef
- Maintain knowledge of local competition and industry trends
- Undertakes special projects as assigned by the Exec. Chef
- Performs additional responsibilities, although not detailed, as requested by the Chef at any time.
- Specialty/Technical Training required (4-Year College Degree or Culinary certification) and a minimum of 4 years of experience in culinary arts with at least 1 year of supervisory experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred but not required
- Ability to communicate effectively, perform multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize needs in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of applicable safety and sanitation procedures
- Basic math skills
- Knowledge of basic training techniques
- Knowledge of food cost and inventory management principles required
- Ability to forecast inventory and staffing needs required
- Demonstrate ability to manage /coordinate multiple tasks with good judgment, initiative and follow-through
- High confidence level in addressing unplanned or short-notice issues requiring sound judgment
- Must arrive to work on time
- Commitment to excellence- perform duties at highest level on a consistent basis
- Successful candidate must be able to consistently excel at all facets of their job
- Excellent communicator- able to interact with people of all levels in a confident, professional manner
- Prioritization – is able to decipher priorities and make sound judgment calls when needed
- Team player- has team-oriented experience and approach and enjoys working as part of a team.
- Intelligent and ambitious- always willing to tackle issues that result in smart, efficient solutions
- Ability to juggle several tasks at once, prioritize, plan and manage one’s time and activities
- Self-starter who has an appetite for learning and is driven to excel
- Able to accept direction as well as constructive criticism
- A motivated individual with a desire to advance in their chosen field
- Creative, methodical, and organized with excellent attention to detail
- Flexible attitude, hardworking, cost-conscience and results-driven
Schedule / Hours / Compensation
- This is a full time, seasonal job [May – October]
- Weekend hours are required
- Nighttime hours are required
- Holiday hours are required
- Schedule is subject to change based on Gordon Lodge events and hours of operations
- Hourly compensation, $22-25/hour, based on experience with bonus opportunity