It’s time to have a summer that you will never forget by joining the Gordon Lodge team for the 2019 season. You will experience Bailey’s Harbor’s premier destination that has been welcoming visitors for nearly a century. Gordon Lodge is currently hiring Top Deck Servers.
JOB SUMMARY (ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS)
Sets tables and serves meals to guests according to well established rules of etiquette, and performs various duties to provide exemplarily service.
JOB TASKS (ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES)
- Reports to Food & Beverage Director to receive instructions about the menu, familiarizes self with menu, paying particular attention to “specials”.
- Fine-Tune tables assigned to server, checking for linen, glasses and silverware on table.
- Provides immediate attention to all guests upon seating
- Distributes menus, if applicable
- Receives guests and takes drink and food order. Answers questions about the food and menu or makes suggestions about various dishes and wines
- Places order in POS system
- Places beverages on tray; delivers to guests
- Serves beverages and food
- Serves meal: places dishes, by course, in front of each person, serving from the left of the patron; may replenish water and butter if needed. An efficient server places dishes in front of each guest in such a manner that the guest may start to eat immediately upon being served
- Checks back to ensure guests’ satisfaction
- Removes soiled dishes, procures and serves coffee, after dinner drinks or dessert
- Gives check to guests when they have finished eating
- Performs pre- and post- work shift duties
- Keeps assigned tables and bus station and other areas clean and tidy
- Advises supervisor of complaints as they occur
- Attends pre-shift meetings as required
- Remain readily accessible and attentive to guests
- Other tasks as assigned
A meal may consist of many courses and may be accompanied by various wines or beverages. The server must know how to regulate his/her service so that each course will immediately follow the one preceding it, so that guests do not feel a lack of attention. To perform this job competently, the server must know how long it takes to complete any course on the menu and must be able to intelligently plan for and regulate the service of numerous different meals when serving several groups simultaneously.
The following general guidelines are basic serving knowledge required of all servers:
- Be courteous, obliging, and attentive. Always greet guests with a smile.
- Inspect all dishes, glass and silver for cleanliness before serving.
- Place dishes in front of the guest on the left and remove dishes from the right. Never “stack” dishes in front of guest when removing them.
- Place and remove beverages from the right.
- Never place fingers or thumbs inside dish or glass.
- Handle cups and silver by handles, handle glass at base.
- Serve ladies first if gentlemen are seated at the same table.
- Clean table well before serving dessert.
- Other side work and tasks as assigned by your supervisor.
Food & Beverage Director
- Familiar with the menu and all types of alcoholic beverages
- Must know the preparation method and ingredients of all menu items
- Server must be enthusiastic, energetic, polite and efficient
- Certified Responsible Beverage Server (or be able to obtain certification)
- ServeSafe Certified (or be able to obtain certification)
Schedule / Hours / Compensation
- This can be a full or part time seasonal job (Mid May-October)
- Weekend hours are required
- Nighttime hours are required
- Holiday hours are required
- Schedule is subject to change based on hours of operations
- Hourly compensation based on experience with bonus opportunity
End of season bonus is available to those available to work until the end of October.