Boys & Girls Club of Door County
TITLE: Chief Executive Officer
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
POSITION: Exempt / Full Time
In accordance with the competencies established for Boys & Girls Club executives, the Chief Executive Officer is responsible for overseeing strategic planning and operation of the Club, in support of its mission and goals. The Chief Executive Officer provides leadership, direction and support to the Board of Directors in developing organizational goals, attaining/allocating resources, and establishing policies. The Chief Executive Officer provides leadership and direction to staff in carrying out the key roles assigned to them.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
- Create and sustain a values-based organizational culture that leaves ample room for individual and team autonomy, creates a clear and supported path toward job mastery, wherein all staff and volunteers believe at all times their success in fulfilling their role is necessary to the achievement of the Club’s mission.
- Provide leadership and direction to ensure the effective operation and delivery of programs within the club and community.
- Support the Club’s mission values and
- Ensure an environment that facilitates the achievement of youth development outcomes.
- Ensure the implementation of youth programs, services and activities that meet the requirements of all grants and support youth development
- Ensure establishment of and adherence to policies and
- Ensure and oversee a strategic planning process is instituted that results in the development and implementation of a quality strategic plan with realistic timeframes.
- Identify, evaluate and implement opportunities for
Operational planning and management
- Oversee the development of an operational plan that incorporates goals and objectives which support the strategic direction of the Club. Operations must contribute to the Club’s mission, meet the current and emerging needs of children, youth and their families, and reflect the Board’s priorities.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the Club's programs and services.
- Ensure the Club’s operations are safe and meet the expectations of its clients, Board and funders.
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies on a regular basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate.
- Ensure that employee, member, donor and volunteer files are complete, securely stored and privacy/confidentiality is maintained.
- Provide support to the Board by preparing meeting agendas and supporting materials.
- Ensure the implementation of effective quality improvement processes.
- Oversee the development of fundraising strategic plans, grant development, and participate in cultivation and solicitation visits with resource development team and board members.
- Spearhead the plan to attract major gifts
- Ensure the annual budget is funded and Club has adequate cash
Human resources planning, management, and team development
- Determine staffing and volunteer requirements for organizational management and program delivery.
- Oversee the implementation of the human resource policies, procedures and practices.
- Ensure the Club is on a continuous learning path that supports position competency at all levels.
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all relevant regulations and agency policy.
- Oversee and support the development of a comprehensive and coordinated network of high performing staff teams.
- Recruit and select staff that have the requisite professional and personal attributes, talents, and skills to help further the Club's mission.
- Ensure productive and effective staff performance, leading to growth and
- Ensure a succession plan is in place for all key positions in the Club.
- Maintain a performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on-going basis and conducting an annual performance reviews.
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance and optimize talent development.
- Discipline staff when necessary using appropriate techniques; release staff when necessary using appropriate and legally defensible procedures.
- Identify, recruit and develop effective board
- Ensure active participation by board members and support effective board roles and functioning.
- Assist the Board in its own development efforts
- Oversee staff liaisons to Board committees to ensure they are provided with the information and support necessary to fulfill their objectives
- Ensure development, implementation and monitoring of the Club’s annual budget in collaboration with financial management staff and the Board Finance
- Administer the funds of the Club according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the Club.
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board.
- Ensure the Board receives comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditures of the Club.
- Ensure all necessary administrative and operational systems are in place to support effective
- Oversee proper record keeping and reporting including activities and events conducted, breakdowns of daily participation figures and trends, notable achievements and any problems/issues.
- Ensure the development and implementation of comprehensive and robust measures to control and minimize risks on all aspects of safety affecting Club members and program clients, staff, volunteers, and visitors such as assessments, behavior management systems, inspections, cost estimating, training, and measurement.
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and the Club carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage.
- Ensure that the Club has comprehensive risk management practices, including adequate insurance. Ensure the Board, and staff understand the terms, conditions and limitations of the insurance coverage.
- Ensure the development and implementation of thorough crisis response plans and procedures.
- Ensure development, implementation and monitoring of plans for updating existing technology resources.
- Ensure the acquisition and utilization of appropriate technology.
- Ensure the maintenance of Club technology and information
- Ensure all facilities, major equipment and properties are well-maintained, safe, and operable.
- Coordinate with the Facilities Committee to ensure the creation and execution of a long-range facilities and equipment maintenance, repair, assessment, and replacement plan.
- Ensure Club facilities and equipment adequately support the advancement of the Club’s mission.
- Develop strategic alliances with community leaders and local officials. Develop collaborative partnerships with other youth-serving organizations, members, parents, families, funders, community organizations and districts.
- Maintain excellent relations with BGCA as a resource for assistance.
Marketing and Public Relations
- Oversee marketing to increase visibility of Club programs, services and
- Develop and maintain good public
- Actively communicate with the Board of Directors, Club staff, volunteers, Club members and their parents.
- Establish good working relationships, collaborative arrangements, and strategic partnerships with community groups, funders, government agencies, and other community-based organizations to help achieve the goals of the Club.
- Maintain contact with potential and current donors, external community groups, school officials, parents and others as required. Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the Club and to identify changes in the community served by the organization.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university preferred
- A minimum of five years experience in leading a Boys & Girls Club, other social services non-profit, or leadership of other successful entities using skills transferable to the Club
- The ability to gain a thorough understanding of the mission, objectives, policies, programs and procedures of Boys and Girls Clubs; the principles and practices of managing non-profit organizations; and resource development activities and sources of funding
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement effective operations; collaborate with community resources to better enrich members than would be possible by the Club acting alone
- Leadership skills, including negotiation, problem solving, decision making
- A record of coaching staff to gain the competencies to become the leader of a Boys & Girls Club
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Success in personally gaining major gifts from key donors
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Board of Directors, staff, community groups, and other related agencies
- Basic knowledge of asset management, including financial resources and property
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
The job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed. As necessary, the CEO will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the Board of Directors. The Boys & Girls Club of Door County reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.
It is the policy of the Boys & Girls Club of Door County to provide equal opportunities without regard to race, color, religion,
national origin, gender, sexual preference, age or disability.