This seasonal position for 18-year-old and older, under the direction of the Manager of Parks & Facilities from April thru October or November. Performs upkeep on all Door County Parks; operates, repairs and completes scheduled maintenance on all equipment. Regular attendance and punctuality along with being prepared to commence work at designated work locations, on the assigned or scheduled days and hours is expected. Responsible for providing truthful and accurate written and verbal communications.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Job Functions
- Maintains park picnic and pavilion recreational areas, which could include grass-cutting, weed flower beds, prune shrubs and trees, clear scrub trees and brush, and waters grass, trees, and plants. It may require applying fertilizer and chemicals as directed.
- Requires the operation various truck and trailer types. Performs operational maintenance on park vehicles and equipment.
- Requires the use of riding lawn mowers/ garden tractors, push mowers, lawn edger, chainsaws, blowers, weed eaters, pruners, etc.
- Performs daily cleaning and policing of recreational facilities and areas within the park, using the Guidelines for Cleaning Parks procedure. Cleans public latrines, recreational pavilions, and other facilities. Replaces towels and tissue and empties trash containers. Scrubs sinks, floors, and other fixtures.
- Pick up trash around the grounds.
- Assists in setting-up, maintenance, and takedown of all special planned programs/events. Sets up and maintains recreation equipment such as water sprinklers, picnic tables, barbecue grills, park benches, playground equipment, trash containers, etc.
- Performs routine repairs and maintenance on park equipment such as painting, replacing hardware, boards, etc. Assist other personnel in the completion of other in-house maintenance/construction projects for the park.
- Provide assistance to patrons by answering questions about facilities and parks, giving directional information, explaining rules and regulations, etc.
General Job Functions
- Assist with Dock System installation and removal in April and October.
- May be required to operate with training: farm tractor, riding mowers, wood chippers, jackhammer, pick-up trucks, including towing various trailers and equipment. Small and medium size tractor/loader.
Required Training and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid driver's license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Ability to operate a wide variety of equipment and using tools normally found in maintaining grounds, facilities, and equipment.
- Ability to perform heavy manual work.
- Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions.
- Ability to perform equipment maintenance, and comply with safety and traffic rules and regulations.
- Must have the ability to perform a variety of laborer, custodial, gardening, driving, and park maintenance duties with minimal supervision.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Physical & Working Conditions
95% of the time in this position is spent outdoors with exposure to various weather conditions. Performs manual labor for extended periods of time; bending, kneeling, crawling, standing, sitting, and climbing are part of job.
Some exposure to noise and vibration in the operation of tools and equipment. Exposure to mechanical hazards are present on a daily basis. Exposure to chemicals, heights, fumes, dust, etc. are present occasionally but can be minimized with proper safety precautions to limit potential for injury.
General Maintenance or mowing work schedule maybe 7a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, maybe 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday, or variations depending on time of year and weather. Occasionally, some weeks may not be a full 40 hours due to weather conditions. Some weekend work may be required. Occasional overtime may be required.
General Cleaning work schedule 5:00 a.m. – 3:00 pm, Sunday through Wednesday or Wednesday through Saturday Weekend work is part of the schedule and is required.
The above is intended to describe the general content of the requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation of other reasons.