Join the staff of a strong and vibrant non-profit arts organization located in the heart of Door County! Birch Creek Music Performance Center is a residential summer music academy that draws advanced student musicians (ages 13-19) and faculty artist performers from 15 states and 6 countries. Birch Creek offers four two-week sessions; Percussion, Symphony and two sessions of Big Band Jazz. A Fall Series brings summer faculty back to perform outside of the music academy, and supports Play It Forward support. For more information about this thriving music organization https://birchcreek.org The following position is open until filled, with anticipated start date by October 1 or earlier. Salary $38K minimum salary, negotiable based on experience.
Birch Creek Music Performance Center Job Description
POSITION: Business Manager (New Position)
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
FUNCTION: The Business Manager is responsible for implementing business and financial operations of the organization under the Executive Director. General responsibilities include assisting in the preparation of the annual operating budget, financial reporting, banking relations, records management, administration of payroll and employee benefits, negotiation of vendor contracts and the administration of organization’s insurance policies.
- Implement and monitor administrative procedures, and internal controls to ensure accuracy and efficiency for budgeting, audits, purchasing, accounts payable, inventory, payroll, contracts and other administrative service functions.
- Manage the daily financial activities, including timely financial record keeping of accounts and human resources records.
- Work with contracted financial services to prepare monthly financial statements and reports required by Executive Director, Development Manager and Board of Trustees.
- Prepare special analyses as required by the Executive Director.
Budgeting and Planning
- Prepare operating budgets and forecasts; monitor revenues and expenses. Recommend, implement, and monitor expense controls with the Executive Director and Finance Committee.
- Direct the posting, preparation and maintenance of accounting records and provide financial reports as needed by staff and the Board of Trustees.
- Maintain revenue and expense records and process accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Direct the preparation and maintenance of payroll records and reporting with oversight from an outside contracted firm within QuickBooks.
- Prepare and submit federal, state, and local income tax forms, withholding forms, and other forms as required through QuickBooks in liaison with an outside contracted firm.
- Ensure compliance with financial/tax reporting requirements of agencies/ foundations.
Audit and Tax Reporting
- Work with auditors in preparation of the annual audit report, the 990, and filing of tax reports in liaison with a contracted accounting firm.
- Work with a contracted accounting firm to implement and ensure that internal systems are functioning as planned.
- Ensure that copies of the most recent IRS form 990 and Schedule A are available for review according to federal law.
- Execute benefits programs, including retirement programs, health reimbursement, and other types of institutional insurance, maintaining accurate records and filing required reports.
- Maintain employee records showing date of hire, compensation and benefits, leave records, and other pertinent human resources data.
- Prepare and file employer reports to government agencies and insurance companies.
- Administer organization’s insurance policies; preparing and filing claims as needed.
- Review, oversee and maintain organizational contracts and agreements including guest artists, contracted services, vendors and staff.
- Perform back-up hospitality functions including telephone, front desk, and ticket sales.
- Work with development and marketing staff to facilitate concert sponsorships and program book advertisers.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Qualifications: A degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Management, Non-profit Business Management or comparable experience required. Candidate must have expertise in Microsoft Office Suite and QuickBooks or comparable accounting software. Applicants must have a minimum 5 years professional business experience in related field.
Conditions of Appointment: Position is year-round, full-time (100%). This position offers a competitive salary based on experience with salary review after one year. Benefits include vacation, sick and holiday paid time off, monthly health insurance reimbursement and AFLAC.
Special Conditions: This position will require occasional evening and/or weekend work.